Monday, May 30, 2005
Hmm, I don't get it, I just don't
Did you have Popstars in your country, wherever you're reading from? Did a record company decide that it would audition thousands and thousands of talented (and UNtalented) singers and make them into Instant Stars,while 'documenting' it all on national TV?
We had a couple of seasons out here in the land of beaches, barbecues and... erm, bushwalking... and while the first two series' were pretty popular and produced 'popular' bands, the other two didn't even make a blip. And I think the people thinking about auditioning for them soon realised that being an Instant Star was pretty crap, since you got NO money and couldn't sign contracts with any OTHER label once your Instant Band inevitably went belly-up (can you tell how much I just adored Popstars?)
ANYway. One of the members of the band from the second season is from my city and he moved back here from Sydney (where he relocated for the 'band', of course, even though he realised that being an Instant Star was crappy and not conducive to writing good music, which he was known for here) not long ago - which is TOTALLY great because my city gets no play and it's the prettiest city in Australia. I love where I live as much as I didn't love Popstars - and he played a tribute to Jeff Buckley tonight (which I've just come back from), since he's apparently his musical idol
Now, I'm willing to bet I was the ONLY person in the room who's NEVER listened to Jeff Buckley (Boo loves him and wanted company, so for $5 cover, why not?). I don't get it. I do not understand the Jeff Buckley thing. I guess I can SORT of understand why some people would like the angsty, soulful thing, and he was kind of pretty, but I wonder how much of the adoration he still gets is because he's dead
And with that in mind, I'm doing another Top 5, this one being the
Top 5 Dead Celebrities I Miss
(or would miss if I'd been alive when they were)
1) Jerry Orbach - I adore Jerry Orbach, always have done, whether it was as Briscoe on 'Law and Order', or the Candlestick from 'Beauty and the Beast', or the mob boss (but loving father) in 'Toy Soldiers'. I think he was absolutely wonderful. I was so sad when I found out he'd died, he's only JUST stopped being my picture on MSN Messenger
2) Marilyn Monroe - yes that's a clichéd choice but she was a goddess; watch 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' if you don't believe me (although, me being a brunette, feel free to complain about the title all you like). I love how messed up she was, I think it's great when people are flawed
3) Jonathan Brandis - guys will go 'who?' and girls will go 'aw, he was so cute'. He was in 'SeaQuest DSV' and was my very first celebrity crush and I actually cried when I found out he'd commited suicide. A damn shame *sob*
4) Jack Lemmon - his greatest role was as Gerry/Daphne in 'Some Like It Hot', as far as I'm concerned. Let's ignore the 'Grumpy Old Men' years. He looked like your favourite uncle, you know? Funny AND a nice smiley face
5) Aaliyah - I had only just started to like Aaliyah when she died but I wanted to BE her in 'Romeo Must Die' and I really liked some of her music too (and this is from a girl who generally hates R'n'B with a passion). It's always more sad when it's someone young who's died, but she was dead at MY age and that just wigs me out
So now I want to know any nominations you have, or reasons why my choices are crap, or which celebrities you wish WOULD die (ooh, idea for a future post!). Sharing's caring, after all!
p.s. Sorry if you're a mad Jeff Buckley fan. Feel free to explain to me the error of my musical ways!
posted by Bug @ 12:16 am  
4 Rantings:
  • At 4:45 am, Blogger Léonie said…

    I personally LOVE Jeffy B.. I think because it is so beautiful musically. His voice is just incredible and I find the music so haunting.. in fact I would go so far as to put him on my list. Not sure about the rest of the list.. Ella Fitzgerald would most likely be on there, but I'm a bit stuck for others..
    And yes, we have the Popstars, and yes, it is RUBBISH and most of the people that do it are LOSERS. Not a fan of that one.

     
  • At 7:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cheers Leonie - major major uber brownie points!!!! He's just involving me thinks - his music is so brooding, but you feel it. His voice is so unique and makes my hairs stand on end hearing just a snippet of any song, it's such an insight to the soul. :( such a shame.

    Boo.

     
  • At 1:01 am, Blogger chindi said…

    I will have to agree with you on Aaliyah. I'm not a big R&B fan but I really liked her music and she wasn't real hard on the eyeballs either. I would have to add Jim Morrison of the Doors to the list.

     
  • At 2:35 am, Blogger Bug said…

    Ooh! LURVE The Doors - agree with you there, Doug! And Aaliyah was definitely gorgeous - great voice too

    And Léonie, yes, Ella Fitzgerald should have been on the list and I'm a bad Bug for not including her

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
All about us
Older rants
Old as the hills
Grooviness
Template pinched from
Free Blogger Templates