Sunday, July 24, 2005
Hmm, advice needed please
Generally I'm a pretty assertive person. I say what I think without beating about the bush (although I've never quite understood that phrase) and I will NOT lie so I often offend people by not sugar-coating my words. I won't take crap from companies who are messing me around and I say no to telemarketers. If someone's pissing me off I'll tell them so and if I don't like someone then I don't pretend to be nice to their face and then bitch behind their back, I just don't talk to them (I don't give them the silent treatment though cos, hello! Not 15-years-old!)
But I'm stuck over what to do just now. There's a guy I met a couple of weeks back at a friend's birthday who is good looking, very nice, reasonably intelligent, quite gentlemanly and who fancies me. Sounds good right? Yeah no. He leaves me COLD! I don't know why cos he should be my type actually (although he IS short and I like my boys tall) but you know how even between strictly platonic friends there's usually SOME sort of attraction? I don't even have THAT! I feel NOTHING! Actually that's not true. I actually feel kind of exasperated by him
Boo thinks that it's because he's like the girl of the two of us. As in, he was snuggling up to me last night when we were out drinking (I'm not seeing him but I didn't mind hanging out with him, friends are good) - and I mean SNUGGLING, with his arms around my waist and his head tucked in to the crook of my neck (told you he was short) - and talking about being hurt in his previous relationships and he sent Boo a text message saying that I'm "an amasing girl" (note: I INSIST on correct spelling. I'm anally retentive that way) and I know that all sounds like it should be fabulous, but I just DON'T want it. It's freaking me out, actually!
So my question is this: how do I make him back the fuck off without being mean? He messages me every day and wants to catch up all the time and invited me over to his place (just no) and I don't want any of it. But I don't want to hurt his feelings cos he's a nice guy and Hobart's too small a place to successfully avoid anyone
Blecch
posted by Bug @ 6:58 pm  
9 Rantings:
  • At 7:24 pm, Blogger Léonie said…

    Oh that is tricky! I think I would react the same way as you are. I mean, he likes you. So that's nice. And he's nice. So that's... nice. But if you're not feeling it you're not feeling it and you can't change that.
    The thing is, though, that he likes you a lot and is of course going to be hurt that you don't feel the same. But you can't change that any more than he can change how he feels about you, so don't feel guilty about it.
    Easier said than done, I know, but you can't pretend to like him, so you have to tell him sooner rather than later, for both of your sakes.
    Don't beat yourself up about it though. You are lovely, from what I can gather!
    And also? The spelling thing would REALLY annoy me too.

     
  • At 10:58 pm, Blogger chindi said…

    Being a guy, who has in the past and present had female friends I may have fancied, I would rather know if there is something there. If not, I can move on and pull out the friend's rules instead of the girlfiend rules.

     
  • At 8:33 am, Blogger Bug said…

    Update: he asked me out. I couldn't think what to reply so I just didn't for about an hour (it was via text message, like EVERYthing) and then said "let's see, shall we?". To which he replied that he hadn't even been asking me out

    Boys are weird. That one in particular

    But thanks for your advice, my net buddies - I'm glad you don't think I'm horrible for not liking him!

     
  • At 11:00 pm, Blogger chindi said…

    Liar. He's a liar. He asked you out, not in person, specifically so he could guage the reaction. If you say "No!" he can just say he was asking if you wanted to go out and do something. If you had said "Yes!", well then, he got what he ultimately wanted. He's testing the waters and beating around the bush. Tell him you have no interest. If all he wants is some action, he'll go away and you'll be better for it. If he truly likes you, he'll stick around in friendship mode (keep in mind that in the back of his mind this means he may one day have a chance).

     
  • At 11:25 pm, Blogger Bug said…

    Blecch. I am so sick of the guys who are hanging out for a chance. I am more than a walking vagina, boys! (sorry for the visual, Doug! Wait, did you visualise that? You perve!!)

    I have NO interest! And I REALLY don't believe in beating about the bush. Saying exactly what you think WHEN you think saves a lot of time!

     
  • At 11:49 pm, Blogger Léonie said…

    I wholeheartedly agree. Speakest thy mind, as Shakespeare didn't say but I'm sure would have if he'd thought of it.
    And, yeah, he was TOTALLY asking you out. That denial would really piss me off! Why bother lying about it?
    And two more things:
    1. I think 'beat around the bush' must be of Australian origins. In fact, I'm going to look it up because I'm a geek.
    2. I visualised just now! GROSS! I think that makes me a perve. Yeah, sounds about right.

     
  • At 11:57 pm, Blogger Léonie said…

    Score!! God I'm a loser.

    To beat about the bush:


    Meaning

    To prevaricate and avoid coming to a conclusion.

    Origin

    From hunting, where huntsmen gingerly beat around bushes that might contain a dangerous quarry.

     
  • At 12:24 am, Blogger chindi said…

    You know, that beating around the bush definition made the visualization I didn't have until it was mentioned far far worse....

     
  • At 8:33 am, Blogger Bug said…

    :O I didn't even think of that! Ok, it's wrong to be giggling like a 16-year-old at work, right?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
All about us
Older rants
Old as the hills
Grooviness
Template pinched from
Free Blogger Templates