Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Back from my tropical island
Since the ONLY reason I've not been posting for the last week and a half is that I've been lying on a golden beach in Hawaii, soaking up the 30 degree days and having bronzed lifeguards bring me cocktails all day (but not any with coconut rum in them because coconut rum is disGUSTing!), I expect you to be jealous as ARSE and to wish that you're me, 'k?
Cos, I mean, if I'd not been posting cos I was, oh I don't know, too bloody lazy and had just been mooching on the couch, then that would just be sad, wouldn't it?
No, really, I WAS in Hawaii, I swear! What? You want me to pinky promise? But... hang on, what, swear on MY life or yours? Why would I need to . . .
Oh all right!! You beat it out of me! I didn't go to Hawaii (because I'm pov) - I've been mooching on the couch cos I'm a lazy sod and because it's FUCKING COLD outside, it being winter in Australia and all. But how NICE would it be to be there right now?? *wistful sigh*
Ok. So the ridiculous pretty Léonie gave me a thingie to do, and since I love thingies, here 'tis:
The rules
I'm supposed to get rid of the blog at #1 from the following list and shove everyone up one place, then add my blog in the #5 spot (ok... can do that... does everyone have to be linked? Yes? Oh ok)
Now I have to tell you about five things that I miss from my childhood. Ah delight, how I love to talk about myself!!
1. I miss the shack. My cousins (well, my aunt and uncle, really) owned a shack (holiday home to any Americans) about an hour and a half from their house so we'd go there a lot in summer and the shack was five minutes walk from the beach, which we used to spend all day on. And then at night we (me, my three cousins and my brother and sister, plus any friends who happened to have tagged along) would invent a concert/play/game show/general show-off for the adults to watch (I was usually MC, being totally talentless). But when I was 16 my aunt and uncle got divorced and he got the shack in the settlement and I think rents it out now. Most of my childhood summer memories are to do with the shack though
2. I miss not knowing anything. Without meaning to sound depressing, I've found that the older and more experienced I get (I'm talking life experience, don't be dirty!), the less I enjoy new things. Even thinking back four years, when I was 18 and newly legal, pubs were the MOST EXCITING THING EVER! Now I literally go to the pub almost every day. And the first day of my first job? Forget it! I was SKY HIGH!! I think I've just become a bit blasé with everything. Not jaded exactly (although I suspect any of my friends would tell you that with men, at least, I'm definitely jaded), just sort of accepting, I guess
3. I miss Cadbury Wobblys. Did you get Cadbury Wobbly chocolate bars where-ever you are? We had them here, and there was a contest to design a logo for them, which my cousin (who's two years older and two sizes smaller than me) entered. She didn't win, but as a consolation prize Cadbury sent her a year's supply of the chocolate bars (I KNOW!) and a t-shirt with her logo design emblazoned on the front. She, being so little and gorgeous and girly, had no use for a boring old t-shirt, even if she had accidentally designed it so it was handed down to me. Now I hit puberty pretty early so I've had boobs forever, so even at ten or thereabouts, a t-shirt that has WOBBLY! written across the chest was probably not the MOST discreet top I could have worn. Great chocolate bars, however
4. I miss my sister. We were friends then. I don't miss her how she is now, cos how she is now is a bratty, arrogant pain in the arse bitch, but back then (like, as recently as 18 months ago), she was pretty cool
5. I miss Roxette. How cool were Roxette??? If you told me that you didn't know the words to at least ONE Roxette song, I a) wouldn't believe you, b) would hit you and c) would make you listen to their greatest hits ("Don't Bore Us, Get to the Chorus") over and over again till you could sing along. Consider yourself warned!
So there you have it. A teeny weeny yiddle glimpse into the fabulous excitement (read: tedium to anyone else) that was my childhood. I've got photos if you want to come over...
Who will I pass this on to? Monkey Typist, because she needs an excuse to keep posting (don't slack off now, woman!) and both the career woman and the housewife, since I know they'll have funny stories
It's nice to be back! I've missed my blog! How have I gone without putting my drunken thoughts on the net for anyone in the world to see for so long??
posted by Bug @ 7:47 pm  
4 Rantings:
  • At 8:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    im not sure i understand how to do this. i understand the 5 things part, but the list thing...am i being really thick? i just move everyones name up and put myself on the end...? ok, ill do it soon

    glad youre still posting though!

     
  • At 11:00 pm, Blogger Léonie said…

    Hurray! You posted! Back in the (virtually) real world!
    I don't think we had Wobblys over here, did we? Might Google it and get back to you. Although that would make me a loser so maybe I won't...

     
  • At 12:12 pm, Blogger chindi said…

    I'm glad you are finally back to posting. With both of our absences, people might start to talk. I must also apologize to leonie for not completing her list. I've been a little busy. And what the hell is a Wobbly? Never had them here.

     
  • At 10:24 pm, Blogger Bug said…

    Don't worry, Monkey, I didn't really understand the list thing either. You could just leave it off, maybe :)

    Oh it's nice to be back online!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
All about us
Older rants
Old as the hills
Grooviness
Template pinched from
Free Blogger Templates