Sunday, June 12, 2005
Time to grow a brain, maybe
Well. That was a strange night. A combination of really, really, REALLY fabulous (for a sad act like me) and really, really, really kind of scary

We started off at Irish, a pub I don't even like much but which we go to because my favourite local band plays there every Saturday and they're WORTH putting up with a crappy pub for! We hung around, had a couple of drinks and danced a bit but Jeremy – the babelicious lead singer – was sort of croaky and couldn't sing very loudly so the guitarist and the bass player were singing as well. The bass player was fine, he sings back-up normally anyway, but the guitarist, known as Hottie Irish by Boo and I, canNOT sing. It wasn't that he had a horrible voice, although it wasn't great, but he was so FLAT - it was absolutely hilarious! So we thought we'd better leave before someone noticed us laughing our arses off at the band!

Next stop was Surreal, which used to be tacky and sticky and the place that new 18-year-olds went to for their first night of clubbing and snogging randoms. You know the kind of place. But it had a massive re-fit not long ago and it's not bad now (the young'uns go to Isobar now and Isobar sucks arse so they're welcome to it) - one of the bouncers is a friend of ours and gives us free drink cards and there are a couple of babely bartenders so it's usually fun. So we're upstairs in the R 'n' B room and we see the gorgeous, sexy, hot, yummy Italian guy from the last time we were there. A good start to the night! Everyone smiled and Boo and I went downstairs to the Top 40 floor to dance and see who we knew

We stayed at Surreal for an hour or so and then walked back down to Salamanca to try some other pubs and ended up at Syrup, another club, where my fantabulous friend Arnie works as head of security. Boo saw Hottie Irish going up the stairs and dragged me in. Unfortunately, the guy behind what I call my 'bad night' was upstairs drinking as well

Hmm, I haven't said anything about my bad night before, have I? Without wanting to go into detail, I was hanging out with that guy and he apparently didn't know what the word 'no' means. It's a long, complicated story and hard to explain but needless to say, I don't like to see that particular guy much. However, in my city, you see everyone all the time so I see him out most weekends

Anyway. I didn't want to stay on the 80s floor where the bad night guy was so we went up to the trance floor (where Hottie Irish was headed) and I went to the bar. I paid for my drink, turned around and saw Boo standing at a bench (with Hottie Irish now leaving the club behind her), talking to Jeremy! I went and stood with them and while Boo turned and chatted to someone else, Jeremy put his arm around my waist and we started talking and flirting. In fact, if talking could ever be described as foreplay (without any talking dirty at all), that's what we were doing! And honestly? It probably wasn't like that for him but bloody hell, it was for me! He was leaning in close, his mouth about an inch from mine, saying shiver-inducing things (and in the croaky, sexy voice that may not have been much use for singing, but was excellent for turning my legs to jelly). I have slept with people and it's not been as hot an experience as that whole conversation was!

(I'm all aflutter now, just thinking about it!)

I think in most places it's kebab shops, but in my city, when it gets to the time of night (or early morning) where you've had so much to drink that you just HAVE to eat something, everyone heads to one particular bakery so after dragging myself away from Jeremy, Boo and I headed down there and grabbed some food

Heading back to find a taxi, we ran into two random guys and started talking. They seemed like nice guys, down here on holidays for a mate's 21st (they were staying with another mate a little out of town), and I may be naïve (or was possibly drunk), but when they invited us back to their mate's place for a couple of drinks, that's what I assumed would happen! We'd have a drink, talk, catch a cab home

Yeah, no. We taxied to the friend's place and he came to the door naked as the day he was born (although I'm sure he wasn't born with Chinese symbols tattooed on his arse!). That was… interesting. So then we went and sat in the living room and someone turned on the TV (although they left it on standby so I don't know why they bothered) and naked guy came and sat between Boo and I on one of the couches. He promptly snogged Boo and then tried to snog me as well. I politely declined and left them to it and went and sat with another guy on another couch. I didn't do anything - I didn't kiss anyone, I didn't touch any foreign body parts, I didn't let any foreign body parts near me - but the whole scene felt really, really wrong. Especially when naked guy went to bed (alone) and another guy sat himself next to Boo and then they started kissing and a completely different guy altogether suddenly popped up from the floor behind the couch I was sitting on, where he'd apparently been sleeping
Going to interrupt here to say that I HATE the idea of people hiding in rooms. Hate it and loathe it. On the bad night, there were people hiding. Bad night
Also going to say that Boo does NOT normally randomly snog consecutive (naked) strangers. She was drunk. People do stupid things when they're drunk. I should have taken better care of her and not gone back to their flat, but it's done now
So Boo was occupied on one couch, and I was sitting on another with a guy trying his hardest to get his hands in my pants, while I kept my legs crossed and my eye on the door in case anyone ELSE decided to walk in when my phone rang
I don't think I've ever grabbed my handbag that fast! It was Arnie, 6'3', 123kg of pure muscle Arnie, and he arranged to pick us up when he knocked off work in 10 minutes. The guy I'd been sitting on the couch with was unthrilled that I was leaving and Boo's playmate didn't want me to take her away so they both started trying to talk me out of going: "stay for half an hour", "stay for 15 minutes", "have a drink", "we'll drive you home in the morning", "nothing's going to happen", "why are you being like this?"
GOD! I didn't even KNOW these guys! Which, yeah, I know, should NOT have gone back to their flat (duh), especially when that's how the bad night started off but I just didn't expect the whole thing. I wasn't so much naïve as ridiculously stupid, I know this. But to be totally clichéd, NO MEANS NO! Why did they not just accept that I, at least, was NOT into the vibe of that place and that I wanted to GO? WHY guilt trip me?? Ugh. Loathesome
Eventually, and without incident, we got out the door and found Arnie, who drove us back to my house (half an hour's drive from his) and wouldn't even accept money for petrol because he's a WONDERFUL man, a gentleman, who would NEVER act the way most other guys act. However, after a giant, muscled hug from him, I started to feel better and less vulnerable
I realise that most people reading this will be thinking that I was a drama queen and that it doesn't sound very bad, or that I asked for anything because I was stupid and went back to that place, but truely, I just felt really wrong about the whole thing. I didn't like not knowing where I stood, or even if Boo and I were safe
So it's a pity that the night ended up on a wonky note, because the sexy Jeremy conversation was SMASHING and if that had been my last memory of the night, I'd have had fanTAStic dreams, but at least I know I have Arnie to look out for me, as he always does
After spending $80 on whiskey though, I've had a leeeetle headache all day!
posted by Bug @ 11:41 am  
4 Rantings:
  • At 10:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    eek...that sounds really scary...i (think) i know what you mean, sort of a 'seemed a good idea at the time' thing gone wrong?
    glad youre ok though, probably a good thing you left when you did!

     
  • At 10:34 pm, Blogger chindi said…

    I think I would have turned around as soon as someone answered the door naked. I'm glad nothing REALLY bad happened.

     
  • At 11:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    maybe if i made my flat into a nudist coloney....hmm...

    i meant to ask as well, can i add you to my links..?

     
  • At 6:08 pm, Blogger Bug said…

    Of course you can! That would be lovely! And I'll add you - it'll be a link lovefest :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
All about us
Older rants
Old as the hills
Grooviness
Template pinched from
Free Blogger Templates