Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Logical Steps
I spent a couple of hours lying on the trampoline in our backyard on a gloriously hot day (periodically running under the sprinkler) reading the Contiki travel brochure for America and Canada last month. Looking at young adults having terrific amounts of fun in the pictures of this brochure, and reading about all the fun things they were doing while touring around America, and I could potentially do to, made me REALLY REALLY want to go. I voiced my desire to go overseas at work, and another girl (the lovely girl who was raised by her grandparents and treated horribly by that f*** face male from previous posts) told me that she was DESPERATE to go travelling to. She didn't care where, she just wanted to go. I started talking about touring America, and she was very keen. Thought it would be great fun and amazing, like I do. She was keen to go this year, but I said I wasn't sure if I could take time off uni this year, and it may have to be 2007. Coincidently, there was a travel expo about to be on at my work, and pallet loads of travel brochures sitting in our storage area, so I cracked open the box marked 'contiki' and we drooled over some up-to-date brochures of America and Europe.

The more I read these brochures, the more excited I got about visiting America. I even did more in-depth research on the internet (www.contiki.com - I'd like to do a 'Grand Northern', or maybe a 'Grand Southern'). I'm ahead in my uni work (goodness knows how, because I never seem to do any), and I began to think that maybe it was possible after all to head off in June, just five short months away. When I mentioned it to the other girl, she was very non-committal. Which is strange, because while she's terrible at making decisions (like, what to have for lunch can be a big thing) she's usually reliable. Meanwhile, I'm wildly excited about travelling again. It's all I think about. I have an appointment with my uni supervisor later that week, and I plan to ask her if I could take a month 'or so' off around June. My work girls and I are out at dinner, and I turn to the potential travel partner (who was so keen to go this year) and say "Look, did you want to go this year? If you do, I'll ask for some time off this week." "No, not this year," she says. "Maybe next year." So, just those few words had shattered my excitement and my dreams of overseas travel this year. I simply don't want to go alone, even though I'd like to do a tour with other 'like minded' people. I get on a bit of a downer, because there kind of seems like nothing to look forward to this year, just endless uni. Okay, I know that pretty much everyone has a year's worth of drudgery at work to look forward to, but having got so excited over going travelling, not going after all was a hard hit.

So, I began to think about rhinoplasty instead. Yes, I know. Logical step. Can't go travelling (well, can, but has nobody to travel with) so will get a nose job instead. Getting a nose job has always been something I've meant to do, but in the future. But there's nothing stopping me getting one right now. Except what other people would say. I know it would upset my parents hugely, so I think that I'd just go to Melbourne supposedly for an extended shopping trip and come home with a new nose. BUT what if my new nose looked even worse than my current one? What if I hated it? What if it looked obviously fake? And there's always that 'what if I died by some strange surgical complication?'

So, thoughts on nose jobs everyone! To cut or not to cut, please answer my question!
posted by Cecilia @ 1:09 pm  
4 Rantings:
  • At 1:44 pm, Blogger Bug said…

    The chances of you dying during a rhinoplasty is SO small, mate (and you know I'm the plastic surgery freak so trust me on this), I'd not even think about it

    I have to say, I don't think there's anything WRONG with your nose. I know you've always angsted about it but I've never quite understood why. True, it's not a Sarah Michelle Gellar ski-jump, but don't you think strong noses make for strong faces?

    If you did decide to go to the mainland and do it that way (which is not a horRENdous idea, although my plastic surgeon here is absolutely lovely, you'd like him), just present the end result to your parents as a done deal. Or even don't tell them about it, just come back with it done and don't mention it. They may not even notice. And even if they do and are upset, YOU are the one who will be spending the rest of your life with your nose, whichever way you go. Should it not be YOUR choice, not their choice? You're 23, not 13, you can do absolutely anything in this country besides kill someone or deal heroin so discount them

    Are you POSITIVE you'd not go to the US on your own?? Could still be fun. You had fun in Edinburgh by yourself, did you not?

     
  • At 12:55 am, Blogger chindi said…

    It's kind of funny to see the USA advertised as a vacation destination when I live here in Pennsylvania. I have it pretty good. I'm 3 1/2 hours from New York City, 3 hours from Washington DC, 1 1/2 hours from both Baltimore, Maryland and Philadelphia. I'm also more or less a day trip away from a few beaches, and there is Gettysburg practically in my back yard (assuming you are interested in the American Civil War). That trip looked pretty expensive and I wasn't sure if it included airfare. I think if you wanted to visit the US it would almost be better to plan the trip yourself so you aren't so confined to a short stay in each place. If you end up coming let me know. I'm sure I can take you someplace interesting. Oh, since I have no idea what your nose looks like, I can't say if it might need changed. I'm not a big fan of plastic surgury and I don't think I would ever get it done.

     
  • At 8:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my (aussie) cousin did the grand southern tour recently and had a fab time, she went alone and met loads of people, some of which shes keeping in touch with

    and an american friend did the contiki european tour a few years ago and loved it (again, alone) and shes just been to australia one one (for two WEEKS, madness) i think she enjoyed it but i havent heard from her since- GIVE HER BACK, AUSTRALIA!

     
  • At 1:58 pm, Blogger Bug said…

    Sorry, we keep cool people in our country, whether they belong to us or not :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
All about us
Older rants
Old as the hills
Grooviness
Template pinched from
Free Blogger Templates