Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Points on Australia Day, spanish and body hair
Tomorrow is Australia Day (26th January). It's only in recent years that I've gotten into celebrating Australia Day. It MUST be celebrated with a BBQ and the beach. Two things heavily associated with Australian culture. The radio MUST be on, set to Triple J, as they count down the 100 hottest songs in Australia for 2005, as voted by us, the Australian Triple J listening public (this doesn't include Bug, as she enjoys sappy boy-band songs and songs by teen idols such as Hilary Duff - he, he, he, she's going to bash me now. I don't mind though - so long as she still comes to the beach with me tomorrow).

My officemate Mia can speak fluent spanish. I discovered this when David, my new officemate (who replaced the surly male who finished his PhD in December and went to work in Hawaii) returned to Hobart from Peru (where his study sites are located and he's spent the past year living) with his Peruvian fiance, who can't speak any English. My office erupted into a cacophany Spanish and laughter as Mia greeted David, who it turns out she's good friends with, and his beautiful fiance. I am wildly envious that Mia can speak another language fluently, something I've always wanted to be able to do. I'm also envious that she can chat away to David's fiance (whose name I simply cannot remember) who seemed like a lovely person and I felt very sorry for, seeing as she's here in Australia and can't actually speak to very many people (except Mia of course).

Today Mia did a big stretch in front of me in a tank top, and I discovered that she doesn't shave her underarms. Or wax, or pluck, or hair removal cream, or epilate, or anything, and she hasn't done for some time, because there's a hell of a bush under there. This just highlighted what opposites we are (me who has had her underarm hair permanently removed at great cost and pain), and what a funny old world it is that has me and Mia sharing an office at uni.
posted by Cecilia @ 9:48 am  
4 Rantings:
  • At 11:23 pm, Blogger Bug said…

    I told my workies about your forever-bald underarms and they think you're AWESOME! They're well jealous, I have to say

    Ceci, my love, when was the last time you heard me listen to boyband music? Hilary Duff? Absolutely, she's fabulous. SO pretty, SO cute, SO just... nice. I love Hilary. Won't be shamed there (especially when the alternatives are people like Ashlee "you wouldn't kiss my feet so fuck you" Simpson). And yup, loved the boybands back in the day, but besides the perpetually played New Kids, who have you ACTUALLY heard me listen to? I know I don't listen to Triple J, but that's because it's SHIT and SELF-CONSCIOUS and ANNOYING

    So I MAY go to the beach with you tomorrow (assuming I'm not still lobster red and itchy and peeling - we'll see) but I will NOT be listening to the Hottest 100. You can take your walkman or something, beatch :P

    (I can almost SMELL your officemate from here. Yuck)

     
  • At 2:16 am, Blogger chindi said…

    Maybe Moses can find the burning bush under her arms. Also, since you mentioned Spanish, I thought I would point out that my girlfriend (NG) was born and lived in Puerto Rico and in the 24 years she has been breathing has never learned to speak spanish.

     
  • At 9:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this office is starting to sound a bit full!

    permanently removed how..?

     
  • At 1:06 pm, Blogger Cecilia said…

    Monkey, I think it's called intense pulsed light therapy or something along those lines. You get very thick gel put on your skin, then this thing is aimed at you and ZAAP! A burning smell and much pain and a week later your hair falls out. The only problem is it takes about eight times and you have to wait 3 months between times.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
All about us
Older rants
Old as the hills
Grooviness
Template pinched from
Free Blogger Templates