Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Points from my day-trip to 'The Mainland'.
1) My taxi was following a woman who was READING THE PAPER whilst driving in peak-hour traffic through the city of Melbourne. Obviously it just isn't enough to have a mobile phone clamped to your ear like the majority of other drivers, she had to take it a step further by having the daily newspaper open across her steering wheel. I hope she was reading her stars "You will be involved in a serious car accident, if not today then soon."

2) I brought Bug a very interesting birthday gift (it's tomorrow, folks, remember!). Sorry Bug it is not an argyle vest featuring red. It is however utterly impractical and a very unique gift. I can safely say that you do not have one of these.

3) The airline I flew with has implemented a new self check-in policy at the airport. I like it. You type in your flight booking number, and then it tells you where you are sitting. If you don't like this than you can look at where there are free seats on the plane and change. I managed to get a row to myself on the way back home.

4) I was highly disturbed on the flight home (and not by the spookily similar air hostesses, either). In the row opposite me there was a woman breastfeeding. Not a big issue, but the child was WALKING AND TALKING! It could hold a reasonable conversation in baby-voice. I judged it to be about two. It was also being fed dry rice cake and apple. If your child can eat an uncooked apple, than it's generally time to wean it off the breast, I would imagine. There was something most unnerving about watching a child slide off its seat, perch kneeling on its mother's lap, lift up the mother's tee shirt then clamp a little hand either side of the breast, like a little child supports a bottle and latch on sucking. I felt like some kind of pervert as I snuck looks over - "Oh my God, she IS breastfeeding. Yes, the child is kneeling, yes, look, it's stopping to talk to her."
posted by Cecilia @ 12:32 pm  
5 Rantings:
  • At 4:32 pm, Blogger Bug said…

    Gross. Gross gross gross. I have NO problem with women breastfeeding in public but I can REMEMBER when I was two! And I remember NOT being breastfed!

    Ew

    And did I not tell you, Cecilia, that you didn't have to buy me a present??? But thank you :)

     
  • At 10:47 pm, Blogger chindi said…

    Little Kid, "Mommy, can't you make this cold. I like cold milk."

    Actually that is kind of weird. I wonder when she will potty train the kid. Probably when it's 10 or so.

     
  • At 6:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ive seen london bus drivers holding newspapers on their steering wheel before..

    presents! do we get to know what it is after shes seen it...??

    happy birthday bug! (technically its tomorrow for you now, i think)

     
  • At 5:44 pm, Blogger Bug said…

    By the way, Ceci, thanks OODLES for the disgusting picture update down the page - I've never actually SEEN your school sores and they're ICKY!!

     
  • At 5:35 am, Blogger nosthegametoo said…

    I'm always amazed by the things people do in their cars. I've seen someone reading the paper before, and thought it was nuts.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
All about us
Older rants
Old as the hills
Grooviness
Template pinched from
Free Blogger Templates