Wednesday, December 14, 2005
I survived - this time!
Greetings world, I have returned from the bog. Actually had quite a good trip (besides the work) and saw and heard plenty of impressive things. There is one particular stretch of road that is simply awesome. It's this windy road (oh, so very windy and life-threatening) but just breathtaking. Not just for the natural beauty, but for the construction work man has done (and I say 'man', because there would have been no women construction workers when this was built). Our state gets the majority of its energy from water (hydro power), and most of that water comes from this area, the Central Highlands. There's this power station on this twisty road, in absolutely the middle of nowhere, in extremely thick, wet sclerophyll forest (damp eucalypt forest with an understorey of rainforest plants). This power station is in the V of many mountains, and going up this very, very, VERY steep mountain are four immense pipes, that pipe the water down to the power station. There are pipes then going back up another hill, to another powerstation, and then two other pipes continue on throught the wilderness. For one of the first times in my life I was struck by the power of people, and the difficulties they would have had. These pipelines were built between the early 1930s to the late 1960s, through the Great Depression and WWII. Before really modern technology. I wonder how many men died, as they cleared great swathes through total and utter impenetrable wilderness, laying massive pipes up almost vertical mountainsides. And how many women and children died, as they followed their men and lived in the remote and isolated villages built for the workers and their families.
I was lying in my bed at a hostel (it used to be the infirmary of an old hydro village, actually) on Monday night when suddenly, completely out of the blue, there was this almightly crack of thunder that went on and on, and the whole building, including my bed, just shook. It was how I imagine an earthquake to feel, and it was like a giant with a massive hammer was pounding on the roof. So I got to marvel at not just man's power on my trip away, but at nature's power also. I have never been in a storm like it. But then, in the Southwest of Tasmania the elements are always exaggerated. Still, I wasn't expecting such a ferocious storm. Definately a great experience.
Well, that's my deep and meaningful post over. Next time I'm sure I'll be back to my frivolous old self again! Christmas is nearly upon us, so Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas folks!
posted by Cecilia @ 8:37 am  
2 Rantings:
  • At 2:07 pm, Blogger Bug said…

    Whoa. Cec, you didn't stumble across any... plantations out there, did you? :)

    But yes, it's amazing what people can do

     
  • At 2:09 am, Blogger chindi said…

    Glad to know you didn't fall into a hole.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
All about us
Older rants
Old as the hills
Grooviness
Template pinched from
Free Blogger Templates